Jason Alderman was hungry. It was the beginning of his regular Sunday night commute from San Francisco to Boston, but unlike most weeks, he hadn’t grabbed food before boarding his plane. So that June 2018 evening, the public relations executive did something he’d sworn he’d never do again: He ate the in-flight meal.
Sitting in business class, he ordered the duck ravioli after he says the flight attendant assured him it was “very good.” But a few hours later, Alderman knew something was wrong.
“About three-quarters of the way through the flight, I start feeling really bad. Really, really bad,” he recalled. “If you’ve never had food poisoning before, it’s like going 10 rounds with Muhammad Ali.”
Alderman says he managed to reach his Boston apartment before he became violently ill.