After employees at a dozen nursing homes across Pennsylvania voted last month to authorize a strike, about 1,500 workers will hold a one-day strike next week to call attention to understaffing and other ongoing issues in the industry. According to SEIU Healthcare PA, the union workers will strike on July 27 at 21 facilities.
Last month, Michigan’s two largest hospital systems, Spectrum Health and Beaumont Health, announced they wanted to become one. The $12.9 billion “megamerger” would create a health industrial complex spanning 22 hospitals, 305 outpatient facilities, and an insurance company. It would employ 64,000 people, making it the largest employer in Michigan. Local newspapers had expected the merger to “sail through” government approval. But now they’re not so sure.
Johnson & Johnson said Wednesday that it is recalling five of its sunscreen products after some samples were found to contain low levels of benzene, a chemical that can cause cancer with repeated exposure. Traces of benzene were detected in dozens of popular sunscreens and after-sun products, according to tests conducted by online pharmacy and lab Valisure.
- A New Contaminant Found in Popular Drugs Could Cost Big Pharma Millions September 1, 2022
- Stem Cell Transplant in MS: Patients Support, but Neurologists Hesitant September 1, 2022
- Thousands of Pa. nursing home workers may strike despite $600M for care in state budget September 1, 2022
- Students wait months for mental health help. ‘We’re bombarded,’ counselor says September 1, 2022
- Tea drinkers enjoy possible health benefits, study suggests September 1, 2022